Thursday, July 26, 2007

# 16 Wikis

I love it that the word "Wiki" comes from the Hawaiian phrase "wiki wiki", as my heart belongs to anything Hawaiian.

As per this assignment, I viewed Wiki, Wiki, Wiki; also Wiki's: A Beginner's Look. I also viewed two of your suggested readings: Book Lovers Wiki--(I already photocopied the many books it has reviewed) and the Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki--looks a lot like our Refwiki.

Anyway, I feel good about this week's topic since I have both experience in reading a wiki--our very own Refwiki, as well as having experience in inputting info into the wiki. After recording the minutes from our bi-weekly reference meetings, I type them in Word and then copy & paste them into the Refwiki, making the required changes so it's easy to read & easy to find. Utilizing asterisks, which become bullets, is an example of my experience.

In our Refwiki, under Category: Library Information is a subcategory under R called Reference Minutes.
The purpose, like all wikis, is for the members of the group--the Ref staff-- to have a good way of accessing info quickly, from the pooling of our expertises. I like it that we've taken our collaboration to another useful level.

We first began sharing useful info w/a blog--the RefBlog. We have since discovered the merits of a wiki & have moved all old stuff from the blog to the wiki, replacing the blog w/the wiki & eliminating the blog all together.

More on this in my next blog entry #17