Thursday, July 12, 2007

# 15 Library & Web 2.0

The perspective I found most interesting was the first reading-- Away from the “icebergs” -- which suggest 3 threats to the future of libraries. Below includes the titles of these 3 & a snippet of what I considered a good thought from each.

The “just in case” collection...As a Web 2.0 reality continues to emerge and develop, our patrons will expect access to everything – digital collections of journals, books, blogs, podcasts, etc.

Reliance on user education...We need to focus our efforts not on teaching research skills but on eliminating the barriers that exist between patrons and the information they need

The “come to us” model of library service...integrating our services into their daily patterns of work, study and play.

My overall impression so far? On one level I am not as appreciative of the many examples of web2.0 we've explored as I would be if I had more time to devote to them. On the other hand, I have found value in learning as much as I have from this project as I am not so totally in the dark when I hear terms like flickr, RSS feeds, Web 2.0, etc. I'm going to plug along and hope that some of this sticks w/me & not worry too much about what I'm missing in the process of squeezing it all in.